piątek, 3 maja 2013

Best thing in my life

I know I'm only (nearly) 21 years old so what I may know about the real life? 

Well, more than you can think.

I've been in more hospitals than you've ever seen in any movie or TV series. Not only because I'm medical student, but also more frequently as a patient. And I must confess - I'm sick of it, of beeing a person who needs help from more educated people. People who see me just like another problem to solve. Of course it's important for a doctor to have his own life and not care too much, otherwise he would have gone mad. Yet, a little bit of humanity would be nice.

Do you know what was the best moment in my life? 

Let me tell you.

Last year, July. Intensive Care Unit. Me working as a trainee. Beds with unconscious people, most of whom will never wake up. An old man lying there maintained alive by a machine. Every day his old wife came to visit him. And every time she showed up, I smiled to her, said 'Hello', brought her a chair that she could sit beside her husband. While she was there I talked to her about what I'm doing, what medicines I'm preparing, what improvements her beloved has made through last 24 hours even if they weren't really big (most of the time).

And then, one day shortly before the end of my practice she came to me and said:

'Thanks to you my visits here have become more bearable'.

Believe me - those are the moments you want to live for. 


(Sorry for my English, I'm aware it's not perfect. But I've noticed more visitors are from abroad and I wanted you to understand what you can see here).

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz